At Children’s National Hospital, our Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders has many of the world's leading experts in hematology (blood disorders). Our Hematology Division is one of the largest pediatric hematology programs in the country. Our pediatric hematology specialists are recognized leaders in the field, which helps us deliver advanced care for conditions like anemia, hemophilia and histiocyte disorders. In addition, we provide comprehensive care for children with sickle cell anemia and cutting-edge treatments for individuals with thrombosis disorders. We have our own blood bank, as well as a nationally recognized buddy program for our chronically transfused patients with sickle cell anemia.
Online Appointment Request Form
The experts at Children’s National Hospital give children and their families the best possible care with innovative medical techniques and family-centered healthcare services. Submit the form to become a patient at Children's National.
Choosing Children’s National for the Treatment of Blood Disorders
Children have complex blood clotting systems that change as they grow. At Children’s National, our understanding of pediatric blood disorders and the many ways in which they affect your child’s well-being helps us deliver the best care.
Highlights of our program include:
- Comprehensive care. Children's National has one of the largest and most active pediatric sickle cell programs in the U.S., treating 10-20 children with sickle cell each day. If your child has sickle cell disease, we will coordinate and deliver specialized care to meet all of his or her health needs, including everything from specialized pain management to dental care.
- Safety. We protect children from life-threatening blood clots during their hospital stay, regardless of whether they have a blood disorder diagnosis.
- Effective pain management. Our Sickle Cell Integrative Pain Clinic offers complementary non-opioid approaches to managing pain, including aromatherapy, acupuncture and physical therapy.
- Innovative treatments. As one of few programs in North America caring for rare histiocyte disorders, Children’s National offers access to treatments that are not widely available.
- Seamless care. We work with experts across Children’s National to deliver seamless care for complex conditions. Partnering with physicians from our Pediatric Gynecology Program, we have a dedicated clinic for teen girls with heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia).
Our Blood Disorders Programs and Services
We take a team approach to care, where all specialties and departments are totally integrated to offer the best care for each patient and family.
Our blood disorders programs and services include: